Many of the visual effects in Windows are designed to give a comfortable and stylish user experience, but these sometimes detract from the performance of the machine. The Aero features are the main among these. If you find Windows 7 Aero not working the way it’s supposed to, you can disable the components, which are Peek, Snap, and Shake. Here we’ll see the steps you need to take to disenable the Aero Peek in Windows 7. Note that this will work in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 as well.
Before we begin, let’s make sure you understand the feature that you’ll be turning off. In Windows 7, this is what has replaced the old Show Desktop button. At the end of the taskbar there’s a small upright rectangle you can click, and this would let you peek behind the open Windows to see through to the desktop screen. You’d still get the outlines of the open Windows.
Disable using Taskbar Properties
- Right click anywhere on the Windows taskbar and choose the Properties When the dialog comes up, deselect the Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop option.
- Hit Apply and this will stop the functioning of Aero Peek.
Disable using System Properties
- For this you should right click on the Computer icon that’s on the desktop screen, or in the Desktop Choose Properties from the entries shown, and then go to the Advanced System Settings link which you see on the left pane. This can be reached alternately by executing the sysdm.cpl command in Run.
- Once that dialog is up, move the Performance section and hit the Settings
- Leave the Enable Aero Peek option unchecked. This will turn off the feature.
Disable using Registry Editor
- In either the Start field or the Run command, type regedit and hit Enter. This will bring up the Registry Editor. Once there, navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
- Move to the right pane on the window, and change the value of DisablePreviewDesktop DWORD to 1, if it isn’t this already. If the value is set to be 0, that means the feature is enabled. So do that if you wish to bring it back up.
- Restart the system for the changes to take effect.
With Windows 7 Aero not working smoothly, most users disable one of partial features under this. So you could try disabling Aero Shake instead.