Microsoft Windows 7 is the most popular operating system to come out of the Microsoft stable. Its popularity can be mainly attributed to the multitude of features available and its compatibility with various hardware and software products. Though there are many versions of the OS, the installation procedure for all of them is the same, and is detailed below. If you wish to run a clean installation of the OS, Windows 7 customer support desk recommends backing up all important files, programs and settings of the old OS beforehand.
- Locate the Windows 7 product key. You will find it printed on the computer’s back or on the back of the installation disc.
- Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and reboot the computer. When it reboots, set the computer to boot using the installation disc.
- You will see the Install Windows screen now. When prompted to, choose your preferred language, time and currency format. You will also be asked to choose the input method.
- Click on the Next button and then Install Now.
- Go through the license terms and click on the I accept the license terms Click on Next.
- If you wish to install a clean version of the Windows OS, click on the button labeled If you wish to keep the files, settings and programs from a previous version of Windows OS, select the Upgrade option.
- Choose the location where you wish to install the Windows 7 OS and then select The computer will restart a few times. Once the setup is complete, a notification saying Setup is preparing Windows for first use appears.
- In the Set Up Windows page, enter your preferred details and click Enter your preferred password and confirm it by re-entering it. Click on Next.
- Place a check mark on the box labeled Automatically activate Windows when I’m online after entering the product key and click on
- You will be asked to choose the level of security and updates installation, choose Use recommended settings. Enter your preferred time zone and select Also, choose the preferred network time.
- Once the setup is complete, you will see the Welcome
If you cannot find the original product key or if you lost it accidentally, The Windows 7 customer support desk recommends contacting the retail store Or Manufacturer of the computer from where you bought it.