The major advantage with DirectX 12 is that it has very low CPU overhead. Due to this, it is capable of providing you with better gaming performance all throughout the day. On top of these, DirectX 12 is said to lower the power consumption and support multithreading. If you have a laptop solely for gaming, DirectX 12 is something that you must upgrade your laptop with.
DirectX 12 to be integrated with Windows 10 devices
It is reported that all devices that come preloaded with Windows 10 will have DirectX 12 as a unique feature. Latest Windows operating systems like Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are compatible with DirectX 12 although only very few devices come with DirectX 12 built-in.
DirectX 12 not compatible with Windows 7
Despite the huge popularity for Windows 7, it seems that DirectX 12 won’t offer Windows 7 support (compatibility). This would mean, you can’t make a good gaming PC with Windows 7. You would either require upgrading it to Windows 8/8.1 or wait until Windows 10 release and buy a brand new PC that comes with DirectX 12 preloaded.
The news that DirectX 12 won’t support Windows 7 was revealed to the media by the AMD chief Richard Huddy himself. During a media conference, he said that DirectX 12 won’t be supported in Windows 7. He didn’t give any details about it. All he said was, “One thing that’s not going to happen to it is DX12. Yup, DX12 is not coming to Windows 7.”
That DirectX 12 does not provide Windows 7 support sounds irrational. Windows 7 is not going to lose support in the next five years. Only the mainstream support for the operating system is lifted. Furthermore, there hasn’t been any decline in Windows 7 market share in recent years. It is growing by at least a couple of percents every year. Windows 7 market share was 50 percent in the 2013. It has grown by 2 percent to a total of 52 percent of the total Windows market share now. According to reports, by the time Windows 10 gets released, Windows 7 will manage to the make at least 55 percent of the total Windows market share.
Microsoft is reportedly keeping silent about all these reports. According to the critics, the software giant is now trying to get people off Windows 7 and make them all migrate to Windows 8/8.1.