Icons are surely one of the most useful objects as far as contemporary computing is concerned. Be as a lot of us have seen in the upcoming Windows 8, it is the Metro UI with its magnificent display of icons that contributes to the visual splendour of the OS. Icons, by representing the various programs and apps installed on your PC, save you a lot of time and effort, and moreover add to the beauty of your desktop. But that necessarily may not be the case always.
Many of you might be having your desktops and Start menus cluttered with an ‘n’ number of icons, that not only make your screen look ridiculous, but also strain your precious system resources. As the Windows help crew says, its well in order to remove unused icons from your desktop so that your daily computing becomes more organized and hassle-free. In this post, we give you a comprehensive account on the same.
Removing Desktop Icons
The following steps are in order for removing your desktop icons manually:
- Close all currently running programs and windows.
- You may now press down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard and single click on the icons you wish to remove one by one.
- Once you’ve highlighted the ones you wish to delete, right click on any of them and choose “Delete” from the context menu.
The above steps can be better done by means of the automated wizard on your Windows PC. Let’s see how:
- Right click on your desktop and choose “Arrange Icons By” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard”, followed by “Next“, whereby the wizard shall display a list of desktop shortcut icons.
- Check the icons you wish to remove and then click on “Next”, followed by “Finish”.
Removing Unused Start Menu Icons
- Right click on your Start menu and choose “Properties”.
- You may now click on the option “Customize“, followed by “Advanced” to display a list of Start Menu icons that appear on the right side of the menu.
- For the each of the item you don’t wish to appear in the menu, click on the option that reads “Don’t display this item“.
The above account would surely prove helpful in tidying up your desktop and Start menu. While for further assistance, you can always get in touch with Windows help.Google+