The performance of your system can be significantly affected if there are temporary files and older, unused files located on your hard drive. One way to speed up our system and to obtain a smoother performance is to find and remove all these files. You can make use of the Disk Cleanup tool in order to clean the temporary files if you are using Windows 7 and the Search function will help you find and delete older files. Given below are the step by step directions as recommended by the Windows 7 support team to clean temporary files and old files from a drive with Windows 7.
How to clean temporary files?
- To start with, click on the Start button at the left side of the task bar at the bottom of your desktop screen.
- From the resulting menu, select All Programs and from the menu that pops up, choose Accessories.
- Now select System Tools and then choose Disc Cleanup.
- Check mark the box besides the Temporary Files option and also check the boxes besides any other file types that you want to clean.
How to clean old files?
- Hit OK and in the pop up window to clean your system, choose Delete Files.
- Now select the Start button from the task bar at the bottom of your desktop.
- Now select the Search box and from the Add a search filter heading, select Date Modified option.
- Next, select a particular date or a list of dates that you wish to search. This way Windows will only display files that were modified in between a specific set of dates thereby enabling you to recognize the old files.
- In the box at the top of the window, type ’datemodified:<’ followed by a date if you wish to look for all the files that were modified before a particular date.
- Hit Enter. This will make Windows 7 display all the files that were modified on or before the dates mentioned in your search. Now right click the files that you want to delete and from the pop up options, click Delete.
These are the basic steps to clean temporary files and old files from a drive with Windows 7. If you have any queries, simply contact the Windows 7 support team to obtain immediate help.Google+