Windows 7 offers a variety of customization options for the user interface. One of such features is icon customization. Icons are smaller sized images that are used to represent the type of a file. Icons help you easily differentiate files like images, videos, documents etc.
Every file has an icon image and and icon name. The default icon for folders is set by default in Windows. You can change it by creating a new icon using an existing image or by drawing a new one. Follow these Windows 7 support tips for creating folder icons.
Creating an Icon
- Go to the Start menu by clicking on the “Start” button in the taskbar.
- In the Start menu, navigate to “Programs” and then select “Accessories”. In the Accessories list, select “Paint”. This opens the Paint program.
- You can either import an image from your computer or create an image yourself.
- To open an existing image: Click “Paint” in the main toolbar and select “Open”. Browse through the images in your computer, select an image and click “Open”. Edit the image accordingly. The image size should be exactly the size of an icon.
- To create a new image: With the Paint program, use brushes, pencils and other features and create an image of the size of an icon.
- Click “Paint” from the main toolbar and select “Save As”. In the field labeled Save as type, select “Monochrome Bitmap” (bmp).
- Enter a file name in the field labeled “File Name”. Insert “.ico” at the end of the filename. This specifies that the image is an icon. The filename should appear like this- “filename.ico”.
- Click “Save” after selecting the folder where you need to save the icon file.
Setting the Folder icon
- Select the folder for which you need to change the icon. “Right click” on it and select “Properties“.
- In the Properties window, click the “Customize” tab.
- In the section labeled “Folder Icons”, select the “Change Icon” option.
- In the window that appears, select “Browse”. Browse through your files and locate the icon that you created. Select the icon and click “Open”. You will see a preview of the icon in the “Change Icon” window.
- Select the icon, click “OK”.
- You will be taken back to the Properties window. Click “Apply”. The new icon for the selected folder is set.
You may customize as many folders as you wish. If you are unable to set folder icons as explained above, contact Windows 7 Support for assistance.